Dump-and-Bake Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Entree
This Dump-and-Bake Chicken Parmesan Casserole is a one-dish dinner that's healthy, easy to prepare, and incredibly family-friendly! adapted from The Seasoned Mom
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ lbs. raw chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs such as basil or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the prepared baking dish (or in a separate large bowl), stir together uncooked pasta, marinara sauce, water, salt and raw chicken. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. You want to make sure that your dish is covered tightly so that none of the moisture escapes (the pasta needs to absorb the liquid as it cooks). Bake the covered dish for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and give the pasta a good stir. At this point the pasta will still be firm and there will still be quite a bit of liquid in the dish. That's fine!
- Spread mozzarella over the top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 10-15 more minutes (or until cheese is melted, top is golden brown, pasta is tender, and chicken is cooked through).
- Allow the pasta to rest for 5-10 minutes before garnishing with herbs and serving.
Calories: 380 Fat: 9 grams Carbohydrates: 43 grams Sugar: 5 grams Sodium: 1020 mg Protein: 30 grams Cholesterol: 50 mg