Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Food
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 5 tablespoons flour divided
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Dash of sage to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1½ cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ red pepper finely diced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup green peas
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Cook carrot, onion and celery in remaining olive oil for about 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour, spices and salt & pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat about 1 minute
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, red pepper, white wine, browned chicken and broth. Bring to a boil,reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir in green peas, bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. If liquid needs to be thickened, combine 2 tablespoons of flour to 1 cup of water or broth in a mason jar. Shake well and add a little at a time to boiling soup mixture, until it reaches desired thickness.
- Add cream, bring to a simmer and serve.
Calories: 290 Fat: 12 g Carbohydrates: 22 g Sugar: 6 g Sodium: 620 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 22 g Cholesterol: 75 mg