Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Entree
Enjoying comfort food can be the perfect ending to a long day.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups reduced fat grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken*
- 1 cup cooked rice
- ½ cup slivered almonds, divided
- *I used chopped rotisserie chicken from the supermarket - super easy and quick!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoon butter and stir in mushrooms. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Remove mushrooms; set aside.
- In same skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; stir in flour then add salt and pepper, chicken broth and milk; cook until thickened. Add cheese and continue cooking until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cream sauce, sauteed mushrooms, rice and ¼ cup almonds. Pour into 9x13 inch glass cooking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with remaining ¼ cup slivered almonds.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Calories: 350 Fat: 17 grams Carbohydrates: 11 grams Sodium: 1000 mg Fiber: 1 gram Protein: 37 grams Cholesterol: 90 mg