Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Vegetable
Serves: 8 servings
This casserole recipe was given to me by sweet mother. It's the perfect side dish for any holiday meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (14 oz) can cut asparagus, drain & reserve liquid
- 1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 (15 oz) can early green peas, drained
- 2 eggs, boiled, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup crushed saltine crackers
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shreds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large saucepan, melt butter and add flour stirring constantly.
- In measuring cup, pour evaporated milk. Add liquid from asparagus to make 1 ½ cups of liquid.
- Stir in flour mixture until thickened. Add remaining ingredients except crackers and cheese.
- Pour into baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with cracker crumbs. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes
Calories: 155 Fat: 8 grams Carbohydrates: 13 grams Sodium: 685 mg Protein: 9 grams Cholesterol: 65 mg