Butternut Squash with Brussels Sprouts, Pecans & Cranberries
Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Food
Cuisine: Holiday Side
Serves: 8 servings
This delicious dish is perfect for Thanksgiving! It is bright, loaded with nutrients and will add beautiful color to your holiday table!
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease the foil-lined baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine halved Brussels sprouts, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and toss to combine. Place onto a foil-lined baking sheet, cut side down, and roast in the oven at 400 F for about 20-25 minutes. During the last 5-10 minutes of roasting, turn them over for even browning, the cut sides should be nicely and partially charred but not blackened.
- To prepare butternut squash, lightly grease another foil-lined baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine cubed butternut squash (peeled and seeded),1 tablespoon of olive oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon, and toss to mix.
- Place butternut squash in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once half-way through baking, until softened.
- Note: You can roast both Brussels sprouts and butternut squash on 2 separate baking sheets at the same time, on the same rack in the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted butternut squash, pecans, and cranberries, and mix to combine. For more sweetness, add 2 or 4 tablespoons of maple syrup, if desired – do not add all maple syrup at once, start with 2 tablespoons, then add more, if desired, and toss with ingredients to combine.
- Serve warm as a side dish or cold as a salad.
Calories: 280 Fat: 19 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 27 g Sugar: 14 g Sodium: 160 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 4 g Cholesterol: 0 mg