Butternut Squash Bisque
Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 8 servings
This bisque if perfect for a cold winter day!
- 2 butternut squash, halved & seeded
- 1 large unpeeled onion
- 1 small garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon each seasoned salt & white pepper
- Place squash cut side up on 15-in. X 10-in. X 1-in. baking pan. Cut ¼ inch off tops of onion and garlic bulbs (the end that comes to a closed point) and place cut side up in baking pan. Brush with oil; sprinkle with thyme. Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are very tender. Uncover and let stand until lukewarm.
- Remove peel from squash and onions; remove soft garlic from skins. Place in a large bowl, using an immersion blender, puree vegetables together. Pour into large Dutch oven; add broth and cream. Heat over low heat until warmed through.
Calories: 140 Fat: 7 grams Carbohydrates: 22 grams Sodium: 250 mg Fiber: 3 grams Protein: 2 grams Cholesterol: 10 mg