Lime Cilantro Shrimp and Black Bean Salad
Author: Jan Tilley
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 servings
An EASY and HEALTHY Mexican-inspired salad that’s ready in 10 minutes!!
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I use no salt added)
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small serrano chile pepper, finely minced (remove seeds for less heat); optional
- ½ medium cucumber, diced into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro finely minced, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined (I used 12-15 count large shrimp)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ to ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- To a large bowl, add the black beans, avocado, jalapeno, optional serrano chile, cucumber, cilantro; set aside
- To a medium skillet, add the olive oil, shrimp, evenly sprinkle with cumin, salt, pepper, and cook over medium high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Flip shrimp over, turn the heat to medium-low, add the lime juice, honey, stir to combine, and cook until shrimp are done, about 2 minutes. Taste the sauce. If desired, add additional lime juice, honey, salt, pepper, or cumin.
- Transfer the shrimp and all the sauce to the bowl with the lettuce
- and vegetables. Stir to combine. Taste and make any other
- seasoning adjustments if necessary (I sprinkled with another ½
- teaspoon cumin) and serve immediately.
- Salad is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 2 days, noting the avocado
- will oxidize and the vegetables will soften and release their natural
- juices as time passes.
Calories: 495 Fat: 18 grams Carbohydrates: 49 grams Sodium: 2212 mg Fiber: 12 grams Protein: 36 grams